"Cold-blooded Advocate for Murder 冷酷的毒士 (lěng kù dè dú shì)"
Wikipedia link: Jia Xu Wiki
Who is he:
His description portrays him as a mass-murderer, and history seems to back that up. After the death of Dong Zhuo 董卓, Jia Xu adviced Li Jue 李催 to take advantage of the chaos in Chang An 长安 and grab the Imperial power for himself. This would prove to be the biggest black mark on Jia Xu's life as Li Jue and Guo Si 郭汜 went on a rampage in Chang An, killing and abducting innocent civilians, burning and robbing property. Later historians place the blame squarely on Jia Xu for the holocaust. The fact is Jia Xu is an incredibly gifted advisor whose predictions have come true many times. The sad thing is his leaders did not always listen to him! While serving under Cao Cao 曹操, Jia Xu was one of the rare few who did not support the attack on Sun Wu 孙吴. Not heeding this advice, Cao Cao later met with disaster at Red Cliffs 赤壁之战. Years later while serving under Cao Pi 曹丕, Jia Xu again advised a defensive strategy instead of supporting Cao Pi's attack on either Sun Wu or Shu Han 蜀汉. Once again, his advise proved to be correct as Cao Pi was not victorious.
Character ability 1: [Enforced ability] "Unmitigated Murder 完杀 (wán shā)"
During your turn, with the exception of yourself, only characters who are on the brink of death (health equals zero or less) can use PEACH 桃.
Character ability 2: [Single-Use Ability] "Descend into Chaos 乱武 (luàn wǔ)"
During your action phase, you can force every player, other than yourself, to use an ATTACK 杀 on another player at the least distance away. If a player is unable to do so (no ATTACK cards to use or attack range cannot reach any player), the player will lose 1 unit of health. Recipients of the ATTACK need to use DODGE 闪 to evade. This ability will proceed in succession starting from the player on your right.
Character ability 3: [Enforced ability] "Behind the Curtain 帷幕 (wéi mù)"
You cannot become the target of tool cards with the suit of "clubs" or "spades".
Ability's relation to story:
No direct link is made to "Unmitigated Murder", though it can be inferred that the game makers want to add drama to this "cold-blooded murderer". "Descend into Chaos" is referring to the massacre at Chang An carried out by Li Jue and Guo Si.
"Behind the Curtain" is interesting. Jia Xu happens to be the longest-living advisor in the Three Kingdoms Era, and the reason for this is rather unglamorous. He is remembered as someone who will save his own ass before the higher purpose. Numerous times he has switched allegiance as his leaders started to fail, finally ending up at Cao Wei 曹魏 till his death. Even then, Jia Xu stayed away from expressing emotions that would compromise his true thoughts. In his later years he became a recluse, and did not even speak in private to anyone else. The "Curtain" in this case is his silence and evasive character, making him less susceptible to ploys and schemes. Thus the ability is apt for him since it makes him impervious to a large number of tool cards.
Additional info based on story:
1. Most famous achievement - Advising Li Jue to Guo Si to take the empire for themselves. Eventually Lu Jue and Guo Si tore each other apart and Jia Xu prudently distanced himself from them.
2. Cause of death - Jia Xu died of old-age at the age of 77 years old. Not bad for a public enemy, don't you think?
FAQ and Disambiguation
1. For ability 1, does this mean if Jia Xu attack the RULER who begins with 1 life and drops to 0 , only the RULER can use PEACH to save himself , and that nobody else can use PEACH to save the RULER?
Ans: Yes only the RULER can save himself. It does not even have to be damage caused by Jia Xu . For example , if Jia Xu was a Loyalist and he attacks Zhang Jiao, but Zhang Jiao uses his Lightning strike ability to strike the ruler, whose health reduces to zero , nobody else except Jia Xu can use PEACH to save him. So this can be potentially disastrous if the consequences are not properly thought through.
2. For Ability 2, Jia Xu is 1 distance away from Player A, and Player B is 1 distance away to the right of Player A . If Jia Xu forces Player A to attack , and both Jia Xu and Player B are equidistant from Player A , who gets to choose who gets hit?
Ans: The player who is executing the ATTACK gets to choose , which means there is a chance that Jia Xu himself will be the target of ATTACK from the 2 players on his left and right .
3. For Ability 3, what happens if a club Lightning passes through him ? Would it immediately move from the player to his left to the player to his right? Or would it be discarded as soon as the player on his left was done with it?
Ans: Assuming the direction of play is anti-clockwise , once the Lightning moves into Jia Xu's zone from the player to his left,it immediately skips him and move to the player on his right. The rules for removing Lightning from play applies : only Dismantle ,Steal, or the Lightning strikes someone will the card be removed from the play area.
4. How often can single-use abilities be used?
Ans: It can only be used once PER GAME.
5. Can Jia Xu's tool card be Negated by other player?
Ans: Black negate do have an effect on Jia Xu's tool card. This is because the negate is use on the tool card and not on Jia Xu himself.
6. Do barbarian cards has an effect on Jia Xu?
Ans: Both barbarian cards are black, therefore they have no effect on Jia Xu.
7. Can a Dismantle target Jia Xu's horse and equipment count as targeting Jia Xu?
Ans: Using Dismantle on his equipment still counts as targeting Jia Xu( Since these belongs to him)
8. Can Yu Ji use his ''Bewilder '' skill to play ''colourless'' Barbarian to attack Jia Xu?
Ans: Yes, Yu Ji cards when played faced down are all suitless and colorless .They will work on Jia Xu
9. When Xiao Qiao uses Barbarian that is spade suit, will it be regarded as a Heart Barbarians by everyone including Jia Xu?
Ans: yes all of Xiao Qiao's ''spades'' cards are viewed as ''hearts'' .So even though she uses a spade Barbarian ,it will be regarded as a Heart' Barbarian by everyone .Therefore it will work on Jia Xu.
10. If the second ability activates and someone gets hurt because he could'nt attack anyone(no attack or no range) does Jia Xu gets the rewards and punishment for causing that damage?
Ans: For 2nd ability (Descend into Chaos 乱武) if a player dies because he is unable to use Attack, nobody gets to draw any rewards or punishment.
Note: If a player dies during this ability because he is a victim of another player's attack , the player that use the Attack becomes the source and gets all the rewards/ punishment accordingly.
11. During ''Descend into Chaos 乱武' ability, does the player being attacked need to use dodge or suffer yet another damage?
Ans: Yes . The player being attacked needs to use Dodge or suffer damage.
12. Can Da Qiao deflect the attack skills for Jia Xu's Ability 2?
Ans: Yes, Da Qiao can use her ability normally.