Contents Copyright Ricky Chua 2010. Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive

Translate

Most Viewed

Latest SGS Questions

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

I must admit, I knew NOTHING about the Romance of Three Kingdoms story before I played SanGuoSha. Although my Dad is a Chinese history buff who constantly promoted the story to me, I always felt those were for the graying population like him.

Then came along SGS and my world changed.


Yes the game is fun and pretty addictive, but it was when my friends mentioned how related the cards and abilities are to the story that got me interested. I remember clearly this friend saying "OMG Cao Cao's ability is just SOOOO Cao Cao's personality!!"

... and I was like... "ooookay? Serious ah? You mean there is actually some tangible link to the story?"

"Seems that way so far. Why don't you read the story and see for yourself?"

And that was pretty much it. I dug out the 20 year old copy of "三国演义" from my Father's book shelf and dug down to read.

3 months and having translated over 80 SGS cards later, I'm fully appreciating the story and the impact it can have on strategic thinking, human behavior, and leadership.

I strongly encourage my fellow readers of my blog to grab yourself a copy of the English version of the ROTK story. Check out the new Amazon Store link i have on the right column and shop away!

Have fun and 杀!

13 comments:

  1. Yes, ROTK is truly a masterpiece in classical Chinese literature. If you want to add to the experience, you should also watch the old TV series (most or all of it is uploaded on Youtube already... they all have very manly laughs).

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a recent updated TV series that is extremely popular. There are about 90 episodes or so? Unfortunately this recent version skips straight to the Dong Zhuo saga, and therefore does not show Zhang Jiao. It also does not show the end of the three kingdoms era where Jiang Wei took center stage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a 7 volume set with the Chinese on the left page and the English translation on the right. Never finished reading it though...but maybe I'll start finishing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a side note, I think it would be really freaking awesome if they made a Water Margin version of this game. :D Would be hard to figure out how to make 108 characters though...

    ReplyDelete
  5. 水浒传 is another classic that my dad preaches... which means I didn't want to read it. Yes all it needs is a game similar to this and i'll be all over the unabridged literature!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ricky,

    Apologies first for deviating from the topic at hand.

    Thanks for writing a walkthrough. My friends from China were raving about this game and I wanted to find out more as I used to play RTK2 by Koei as a kid.

    Some friend said that they spotted an ad for an English version of the card game, but couldn't remember where they saw it. Would you know where I can buy the English in Singapore? I am keen to play it with friends who don't speak/read Chinese. That said, I am not even sure where to buy the Chinese version.

    Thanks so much for your help & enjoy reading through ROTK.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Justin, thanks for the comment.

    As far as i know, I have not come across an English version of the game anywhere. You're in luck though, i'm just about to release an english "plug-in" for the game, which will be ready in about 2 weeks time. Look out for more updates on this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ricky,

    Thanks for your help. Looking forward to your "plug-in". =)

    Where can I purchase the Chinese version of the game? Sorry to bother, but I'm kinda out of touch with the gaming scene in Singapore.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry, just to add on. A location in the East or Central will be preferred. Thanks again Ricky!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Justin, I do not know of any shop in Sg that sells this game off the shelf. Everyone i know playing this game got it direct from China. I should be able to get you a box though. Email me at sg.rockstar@gmail.com and I can pass it to you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Ricky. It's a busy period for me now, so I'll wait to get a set - else I'll spend too much time playing. I think your "English plug-in" will push me over the edge haha. =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi I am interested in getting a set too... may I know how much will the original pack cost? plus the expansion set too.. i am a huge fan of ROTK...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, the original set will be made available on this blog very soon. Check out the blogsop once its ready!

    ReplyDelete

Site search