A simple modification. Tremendous difference.
|The Saboteur card game that inspired this mod.|
This modification will change the way you enjoy SanGuoSha. It increases the uncertainty of victory. It turns the guessing of roles into a nightmare. If you love the mind games aspect of SGS, you are going to thoroughly enjoy this mod. And the best part about this mod is you do not need any additional purchases or any expansion packs! Everything you need is already part of the original pack. Interested to know more? Read on!
I call this modification the "Saboteur Mod" because it is inspired by the Saboteur cardgame. In Saboteur, the "Diggers" and "Saboteurs" identities are kept secret until their intentions betray them. However there is a twist in that game that is very interesting. There is always 1 additional role card more than there are number of players!
What this essentially does is keep everyone guessing the number of Diggers and Saboteurs! Often, it is not clear exactly how many saboteurs or diggers there are in play until the game is over. That is usually when all hell breaks loose and people start cursing and swearing at each other (in jest, of course) for sabotaging the wrong players.
Now take this concept of the additional role card, and place it into SGS, and TA-DA!! You have the "Saboteur Mod"!
But before you start tossing any additional role card into the mix, let me list out exactly what needs to be done. I will explain the rational later on.
1. This mod works best when there are between 4 to 9 players. It does not work with 10 players.
2. Put in 1 more DEFECTOR 内奸 role card in addition to the usual number of role cards. Now the total number of role cards should be 1 more than there are players.
3. After all players choose their role cards, two scenarios can occur:
-- Scenario A: One of the players drew the RULER 主公 role card. This player must proclaim that he is the RULER immediately. Next, proceed to point number 4 below.
-- Scenario B: Nobody draws the RULER, and the extra role card that nobody picked is the RULER card. In this case, the roles need to be re-shuffled and players must choose their role cards again until Scenario A occurs.
4. Once a RULER is selected and everyone has a role card, there should be 1 extra role card leftover. This role card shall be known as the "Extra Role Card". Carefully place the extra role card out of the game area. Make sure none of the players see the identity of the extra role card.
5. The game proceeds as usual! Remember to place the Extra Role Card back into the mix when the game is over!
Now let me answer some questions you might have right now:
1. Why choose a DEFECTOR as the additional role card to be added? Why not a REBEL 反贼 or LOYALIST 忠臣?
ANS: Because the REBEL and LOYALIST have clear sides and simple objectives. If an additional REBEL was added, the REBELS will get too strong. Vice versa if a LOYALIST was added. But a DEFECTOR can choose sides and play double agent. He can choose to assist whichever side he chooses.
2. What if the extra role card that nobody chose is a REBEL? Wouldn't that make the REBELS too weak?
ANS: Yes and No. With this mod, it is not a good idea for REBELS to strike the RULER outright, because the tide will very quickly turn against you. There is a high chance that REBELS will be outnumbered. The key here lies in causing chaos and confusion, pitting everyone against each other. You'd be surprised who is first to die as collateral damage. Once 1 player is dead, the odds swing quickly and you can then decide on your course of action.
3. What if there are only 3 characters left after a long game, and it happens to be 2 LOYALIST and the RULER left, but they have no idea that the game is already over?
ANS: Any of the players that have died can view the extra role card. However they are not allowed to expose the identity of the extra role card. The only exception is when only LOYALISTS and RULER are left in the game.
4. Why does can't this mod work for a 10 player game?
ANS: Because there are only 10 role cards in the original pack. For this mod to work on 10 players, you will need 11 role cards.
5. What about 3 players or less? Can this mod work?
ANS: Yes it can work, though not as well. In a 3 player game, there is not much difference between (A) 1 RULER, 1 DEFECTOR, 1 REBEL, and (B) 1 RULER, 2 DEFECTOR.
6. In Game Rules Part 1, you listed two options for a 6 player game and 8 player game. Can this mod still work for both options?
ANS: NO! With reference to Game Rules Part 1, this mod will only work for option A games. This is because option B games already has an additional DEFECTOR thrown in.
Well, that's it for this post! I hope you enjoy this mod as much as my friends and I enjoyed it. In fact we prefer this more than the original number of roles now. The confusion and mind games is incredibly addictive for sadists like us!
Test this mod out for yourself! I'm sure you will love it too.
Have fun! and 乱乱杀! (kill indiscriminately)